Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Resolution




Happy New Year! An old year passes and a new one is here giving us a clean start.

This new year I would like to be skinner. About 20 pounds should do it, not that I'm picky. But I would also like to be healthier, and stay on a budget. Oh, being skinner with those two additional items might be a bit harder. Well, I'm going to give it a go.  The past couple of weeks I've been reading health books I checked out at the library, researching the best ways to be healthy and lose weight. I will post some reviews on the library books I have been reading. Maybe you'll find a good read?

While I haven't quite decided on how I'm going to achieve my budget friendly healthier weight-loss, I know some ways I am not going about it are:

Crash Diets
I could easily go on those crash diets that severally restrict your caloric intake to 1000 or below. It would definitely help with shedding the pounds, and when you're eating less, the grocery bill would correspond by being lower. My health would take a hit, plus I would be very, very hungry. I don't like being hungry. I get cranky, very cranky,  and others will pay. Additionally, with crash diets, you are often missing key minerals, vitamins and protein your body needs to properly function, so it breaks your muscles to fuel itself. The drastic reduction in calories also sends your body into starvation mode, making it hold onto the fat reserves. Ultimately, these don't work and they end up making you frustrated.

Meal Replacement
The meal replacement option often contains more minerals, vitamins and protein than the crash diet, so it is certainly a healthier option compared to crash diets. However, meal replacements are often costly, and lack in the taste department. Yuck! I still have to buy real food for the rest of the family, so the grocery bill would not be lower. There is no budget savers in this area.

No Diet Pills, Supplements, Herbs, or Detox
Majority of the popular diets that require you to purchase expensive items while going on their calorie reduced diet are only taking you as a sucker. Most of the supplements and herbs are not covered by the Food Drug Administration, and may contain more than you bargain for. Since one of my goals is to also be healthier, I am going to skip this route. Let's face it people, health and weight loss are not in a magical pill.

Weight Watchers
Admittedly, I have been on Weight Watchers before and successfully lost weight on their program. It promotes a balanced healthy approach by teaching you how to eat real food. I like that. Unfortunately, the fees add up when you look at the registration fee, weekly fee or monthly pass (depending at what route you take). You have to pay the fees regardless if you show up to the weekly meeting or not. This program is not helpful on my wallet, plus I do not have a meeting group conveniently near by. Granted you can pay for the strictly online option, which is cheaper than the meeting package, but I don't feel like I really get my money's worth. To me, the main reason why Weight Watchers is so successful, is the meetings.

Here's to a New Year! While I am not sure what I am going to do achieve my goals for this year, I know what I am not going to do, which is a starting point. Throughout the year I will post about my progress and failures in hopes others can learn along the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment