Monday, January 21, 2013

Library Book Review: Women, Weight, and Hormones

Women, Weight, and Hormones: A Weight Loss Plan for Women Over 35
By Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet, M.D.

The titled seemed promising, but I guess this is a good example on why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, er title. Honestly, I could not even read over half of it before I had to put it down for good, which means I didn't even make to the diet portion. The book loads on the various medical terms and shamelessly self promotes Dr. Vliet's other book. Having a stable level of hormones play an important role in maintaining weight. As women age, we have a harder time with the weight issue because of our hormones.

This book was published in 2001, and seems a little dated to me. She came across as big proponent for hormone replacement therapy (HRT). In 2002, the attitudes in the medical field towards HRT drastically changed when it was linked to higher cancer risks, so I'm a little leary towards the hormone replacement optimism expressed. The important thing I got out of this is, women who are interested hormone treatment really need to talk to their doctors, because you could cause more problems if you try to self medicate.

This is one book going back to the library without being finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment